6th Graders Learn Life Skills
In recent years, Napoleon Middle School teacher Jill Benn has been teaching 6th grade students in her Life Skills class everyday tasks that will benefit them throughout their lives.
Some of these skills include:
- how to make good life choices
- how to set goals; how to resolve conflicts
- how to recognize bullying behaviors (and what students can do about them)
- how to use basic banking and financial literacy skills
- how to read a paycheck stub
- how to create a monthly budget
However, the students’ favorite units taught in this class are cooking and the newly added sewing unit. Thanks to a John George Grant that Mrs. Benn applied for and recently received, she will be able to purchase multiple sewing machines and additional sewing supplies. The grant will also enable her to expand the sewing unit from a simple bookmark to include a service learning project, such as the “Pirate Pediatric Pillowcase Project.” For this project students would create and donate colorful pillowcases to the Henry Ford Allegiance Pediatric unit for young patients.
For a one semester class, Life Skills is packed full of things our 6th grade students will hopefully learn and find useful for many areas of their lives.